What a great time to embark on a vacation, taking a break from the maddening crowd and the stress of everyday life! If you too are bitten by the travel bug and experiencing severe wanderlust, it’s the time to pack your bags and head to the destination of your choice.
Here are some quick travel hacks for your spring break.
1. Learn more about your destination: Before you visit the chosen destination, don’t forget to do a thorough research about it. Google everything you can, including the local food, unexplored locales, embassies, weather, kids or senior-friendly services and so on and so forth. You can easily find most of the information from a number of travel-based write-ups
2. Invest in technology: When you are traveling long distance, you may have to end up spending most of your time in flights/trains or waiting for them. So, make it a point to invest in – a portable charger as you can run out of battery and charging ports anytime, a tablet or an eBook reader to kill time, USB drive to store important data and for emergencies etc.
3. Install travel-specific apps: Apps make lives easier and there is no doubt about the fact. There is an app for almost everything nowadays and this includes travel-specific apps. Install some of the best ones out there to make traveling a breeze:
- WeatherPro – Get weather updates on the go.
- FlightAware Flight Tracker – Never miss a flight again by tracking your flight.
- XE Currency - Don’t rack your brain for converting currencies and use this instead!
- TripAdvisor - Get hotel and restaurant information and reviews, including images and videos.
- Bravolol – Forget phrasebooks. Bravolol teaches you phrases in multiple languages.
- Vayable – Explore any city like a local.
4. Get documents scanned: Traveling comes with its share of fun and horror stories. The latter often involves the theft of wallets, passports, IDs etc. Protect yourself against the thefts and losses by scanning a copy of your important documents and keep a copy with you in a flash-drive. Additionally, mail yourself the scanned version of the documents for emergency purposes.
5. Protect your gadgets: Just like documents, losing smartphones, tablets are also quite common for travelers. It not only causes a lot of hassles, but also stresses them out to think that their personal data will fall into the wrong hands. Protect your gadgets by following the instructions given in this write-up. Also, you should take a backup of all your data in the cloud or other gadgets back home, before the journey. This way, at least you can recover all your data!
6. Buy insurance: Both general and health insurance are a must before you take your next spring vacation with or without your family. They come with a number of riders, which are equally beneficial. Go through the plans before deciding and zero-in on the one that serves your purpose the best way.
7. Take early flights: More often than not, early morning flights help you avoid turbulence and thunderstorms. You are more likely to catch a flight that departs on time this way. And as a bonus, you can catch a glimpse of the rising sun and the breathtaking view (in case you have a window seat).
8. Make your luggage identifiable: Want to spot your luggage fast and easily? Invest in colorful luggage instead of neutral colored ones. Alternatively, you can attach customized luggage tags and even keychains to your luggage and prevent it from getting swapped or lost. It will also help you spot it easily during baggage claims. Even if you forget doing all this, as a last-minute resort, you can tie a handkerchief, ribbon, hair tie or a scarf to the handle of your luggage.
9. Pack smart: The best way to enjoy your vacation is to travel light. For this, you need to pack smart. Here is how you can pack smart for your long travel in spring break:
- Keep a list of all that you want to take handy. You can use this list to make sure that you remember to pack everything before leaving.
- Take an additional foldable bag with you. This can be used to bring back souvenirs and other knick-knacks from the place you are visiting.
- Organize jewelry in pill containers.
- Carry a straightening iron to quickly fix a wrinkled collar or a scarf.
- Store your chargers, cables and earphones in glass cases.
- Pack the shoes in a shower cap and keep them at the bottom of the luggage.
- Use dry-cleaning sheets and tissues to prevent wrinkling of the packed clothes.
- Try rolling up the clothes instead of folding them to save space.
- Pack mini-bottles of cosmetics and pack them in a Ziploc bag. Contact lens cases are excellent options for packing makeup.
- Carry some extra Ziploc bags, tissue papers and clothes hangers with you as they can come in quite handy.
- If you are unsure about the weather, carry a lightweight umbrella with you. It will save you from both sun and rain.
- Take more shampoo with you. It will double up as a liquid detergent in case you want to do your own laundry.
- Encountering zipper issues is quite normal during travel. Fix most of them by rubbing lip balm or petroleum jelly on the jammed zipper.
These are some travel hacks for your spring break. Do you have any more hacks to share with us? We are all ears!
Image courtesy: http://www.flickr.com/